After the recent rumors of iPhone 6, older idevice users are left with completely no hope of getting an update, but then the question arises, are they completely obsolete now? My answer to this simple question, will be a simple “No”. Communities like the “Whited00r” are doing a brilliant job to revive your almost on the verge-obsolete devices, by bringing the features of the latest iOS versions by the help of Custom Cooked Firmwares. So let’s begin with the easy to follow tutorial on getting iOS7.1 features on your obsolete iDevice.
How to Install iOS7 on iPhone 3G
To begin with, let me first start off with things that you require for installing Whited00r7.1 on your iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G, iPod Touch 1G or iPod Touch 2G.
- Redsn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 (Download Here – Mac, Windows)
- Whited00r 7.1 IPSW for iPhone 3G (Normal, Unlocker) OR,
- Whited00r 7.1 for other devices listed above (Choose Your Device from Here)
- A Whited00r Community Supported iDevice (duhh!!!!)
What’s the difference in Whited00r Normal IPSW and Whited00r Unlocker IPSW ?
Well, your question is absolutely treatable. The basic and easy to understand difference between the Normal and Unlocker IPSW is that, if you got a factory unlocked iPhone or you got the official carrier of your iDevice then you are ready to grab the Normal Version other than that you will need the unlocker version where you can unlock the device after the installation (via Ultrasn0w), but the only limitation here is that you may or may not require a push notification patch to fix push notifications in the unlocker variant.
Let’s begin with the Procedure :
- Right click redsn0w.exe file and choose Properties, now click on the Compatibility tab from the top menu.
- After that, tick Run this program in compatibility mode for: and choose Windows XP SP3 (if on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 ).
- Now, Open Redsn0w.exe and click on the Extras button, after that click on Pwned DFU.
- Follow the on screen instructions to put your iDevice in Pwned DFU state with completely black screen.
- After you are into the Pwned DFU state, open iTunes and click on the Restore button while holding Shift key (⇧) (On Windows) or the Options Key/Control Key (On Mac).
- Now choose the Whited00r 7.1 IPSW file you downloaded earlier and let the restore begin.
- After the restore completes, reboot your iDevice to finish the installation.
Got an Issue while following the above guide?
iTunes Error? Springboard crashes? UI Bugs? Improvement Suggestion?, refer the official Whited00r 7.1 FAQ/Bugs Discussion thread : http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index?topic=10618.0
That’s it for today! Hope you like our guide, in any case you get into trouble and/or are not satisfied with the fix on whited00r forums, you might just leave us a comment below.