Although Google restricts direct video downloads from YouTube , there are a bundle of third party tricks that can do the job for you. Even though sites which claim to download YouTube videos for you fails to download them for the majority of Windows Phone Devices, due to the combine restrictions laid down by Microsoft and Google. So this post is going to sum up all the possible methods which may or may not (depending upon the Windows Phone OS Version) work for your WP Device.
Method #1 : Download via the Watch Offline feature of UC Browser
This is by far the only method which continued to work all the way from Windows Phone 7 to Windows phone 8.1. Although a slight restriction of video quality (360p only) has to be faced by the big screen WP holders. So i recommend all the 4.5+ incher’s to continue reading the post for other possible methods and bring out the best of your video viewing experience.
- Download and Install UC Browser from Windows Phone Store.
- Open up m.YouTube.com and go to the video that you want to download.
- Once on the video page, a download icon will appear in the lower left corner of your UC Browser.
- Click on the download icon and check Save to SD Card (for WP 8+ Devices), and tap Watch Offline .
- The Video Download will immediately begin and can be checked in your Downloads page.
- If you are on a WP 8+ device, the downloads will save in /UC Download folder in your Memory Card.
- Alternatively, For devices running on WP 7.8 or below can play there videos from the Video page of UC Browser.
Method #2 : Download videos with Internet Explorer (Only for WP8.1+)
Internet Explorer is the default browser of all the Windows Phone Devices, majority of the WP users till date are unhappy about the restriction and inaccessibility of downloading common media files directly to their Memory Cards. Although the latest Windows Phone 8.1 update breaks this chain by adding Downloading feature to WP default browser (IE), let’s have a quick look on how to use the same.
- Open m.YouTube.com in Internet Explorer and then open the video that you want to download.
- Once on the video page, tap the URL/Address Bar and then copy the URL of the video.
- Then go to ssyoutube.com and paste the copied URL into the rectangular white box and click on the yellow Download button adjacent to it.
- Wait for the time the page finishes loading and then you will be able to see download links on the right side of the page along with the video thumbnail and information in the center of the page.
- Click on the combination of Resolution and format (MP4 recommended) which suits your need.
- Tap Save when Internet Explorer prompts a dialogue box asking whether to download or save.
- After the download has finished, you can locate the video file in the /Videos folder of your Memory card.
Method #3 : Download videos in different resolutions with UC Browser (for WP7+)
Although the Method #2 works perfectly fine for devices running on Windows Phone 8.1 and above, but it lacks the ability to support devices running on WP7 or even on WP8. So for such device holders who really have an admire to download high resolution videos can still have a chance of getting it with UC Browser instead of the default Internet Explorer.
- Download and Install UC Browser from the Link mentioned in Method #1.
- Open the YouTube video that you want to download.
- Tap the URL/Adress Bar and copy the URL of the video.
- Go to ssyoutube.com and paste the copied URL into the wide white box.
- Before taping Go, check if the URL contains ?client=mv-ucweb-in-portable , if so remove this text from the URL (if not, ignore this step).
- After doing this your URL should look like “m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x” where x defines the youtube video code. If everything looks same, tap Go/Enter key.
- After the page loads, you will see different download links on the right side of the page along with the video thumbnail and information.
- Click the resolution of the video which you want to download.
- A Notice will appear giving you two options, whether to Play Online or Download . Tap Download.
- Another window will appear asking the type of download. Choose Regular Download or Background Download to start the download of your video.
- The downloaded videos can be found under the Videos tab of UC Browser.